How to Submit Your Manuscript
Between April 1st and June 30th, Bywater Books will accept manuscripts for the Bywater Prize for Fiction.
However, we’re always looking for well-written commercial fiction targeted to lesbian readers. We are especially interested in mysteries, romances and general lesbian fiction. We do not publish poetry or erotica.
For non-Bywater Prize submissions, manuscripts should be a minimum of 60,000 words. (Anything with fewer words is considered to be a novella; one has to crack 60,000 words to make it into the land of novels.) Please submit your sample BOTH in hard copy and electronically according to the instructions below. We’re sorry we cannot accept electronic submissions only. You MUST also submit a hard copy.
Read the manuscript submission guidelines below.
Complete the online manuscript submission form, which includes uploading your file, and print a copy of the submission receipt that will be displayed on the successful completion of the form.
Attach the printed copy of your online submission receipt (see step 2) to a printed copy of your manuscript and mail to:
P.O. Box 3671
Ann Arbor, MI 48106-3671
Manuscript Submission Guidelines:
- Read our tips on manuscript submission
- Send the first 50 pages.
- Have 1 inch margins on all sides.
- Use 12 point Times New Roman or another clean, legible font.
- Double space your document.
- Number all pages on the upper right corner.
- Have the author’s name and title of book on upper left of each page.
- Please use Microsoft Word or some other compatible format.
- Include with your 50 pages:
- A 1-2 page synopsis
- A short author’s bio
- Printed copy of the online submission receipt (with contact information, phone, email, address)
- If you wish to get your material returned to you, please check “yes” in the “Return” box of the online submission form, and include a SASE envelope for its return.
- Please, no electronic-only submissions. You MUST also submit a hard copy. However, email queries are acceptable.
Thank you for your interest in Bywater Books!